1. Malala Yousufzai was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize!
2. To promote gender equality, Swedish cinema adopted the Bechdel Test to insure the active presence of women on screen.
3. The conversation about gendered toys continued. After pressure from Let Toys Be Toys, Toys R Us in the UK pledged to drop gender from its toy advertisements! This GoldieBlox commercial got a lot of attention for portraying little girls aspiring to be engineers while they play.
4. Diana Nyad completed her Cuba to Florida swim at age 64, providing girls with another strong female athlete role model!
5. Jennifer Lawrence used her media power for good by suggested that it should be illegal to call someone fat on TV because of the damage it can cause to body image.
Let us know if you have any to add! Here’s to many, many more (and with more diverse identities) in 2014!